Wednesday 2 March 2016

OUGD502: Studio Brief 2 - Design Strategy Presentation: Promo Pack

OUGD502 Studio Brief 2 - Design Strategy Presentation

Promo Pack 

It was suggested within brief two that I extend my identity expanding it from business cards into a form of promotional material that could be sent to studios and clients to present my practice. Suggestions of how to do this included a creative CV, portfolio, samples of work and business cards. 

When I started processing how I could produce this, I analysed my practice at present and felt I didn't have enough high quality pieces of work professionally photographed to compile a full portfolio. I decided id prefer a smaller high quality portfolio that included my strongest samples of work than a larger body of work that I wasn't completely happy with. Also looking at my progression into industry at present, I would say I'm trying to raise my awareness  and  profile on a more casual basis, talking to and looking at studios for insight and appreciation rather than jobs. Critically during this research I'm compiling an awareness of studios I like and would like to do placements at however feel a full portfolio wouldn't be appropriate for my current position as a practicing student. 

I felt a preview of my portfolio would be more relevant to my practice showing a preview of the work I can produce and telling the reader about me as a designer. I wanted to create a unique personal reflection of my practice thus far and created my own structure that would include an opening statement, creative CV, examples of work with succinct contextual explanations and contact details. I looked at existing promo packs for inspiration but encouraged myself not to follow these conventions and create a unique representation of me and my practice. This will present a more informal tone thats just asking the studio/client to have a look at my work with no sense of pressure or formality and let me know what they think about it which will work far better with the nature of my current practice then if they like my work when I am looking for internships/ experience/ jobs the studio already have a relaxed awareness of me as a creative. 

Tone of Voice 

I wanted the tone of voice for my promotional pack to be informal and more 'here I am, here's what I do' as opposed to  'excuse me sir, please look through my entire 3 years at uni and give me a job' I think this is well executed with my opening statement which summarises why I'm studying graphic design and that I'm passionate about it as a career, Where my current practice is situated and asking them to flick through and let me know what they think, this reduces the formality of the whole publication from the first page as I'm not asking for anything other than feedback on a casual basis which I think will work well when approaching studios. 


Content

To reflect the preview element of my promotion pack I'm only to include a small selection of work that I feel is of my highest quality both conceptually and aesthetically to give the best succinct impression of my practice. I will include my YCN entry as this is the most extensive brief I have undertaken to date, the resolution is strong, informed by the brand ethos and I can talk confidently about this project in follow up conversations with studios/clients. Another brief I am putting in the preview is my BACIL poster campaign as I feel it confidently resolves the brief appealing to the target audience and demonstrates my ability to produce strong conceptual design. I wanted to keep the preview succinct and felt 3 examples of work was a good amount as an introduction to my practice, the final example of work is a branding project for the portland ashwagandha farm, it was a week long brief showing how I can create high quality resolutions in a short timescale and highlights my current interest in branding. I feel these samples of work are all of a sufficient quality would make me confident to show to studios/clients and would be able to talk confidently about. The samples are varied and informed demonstrating my broad design knowledge and skill set which will work effectively within this context to develop my progression into industry. 

Creative CV

I wanted to include my CV in this preview as it allows the reader to get to know me bit better in terms of hobbies and interests, It highlights my ethos towards design as well as shows off my credentials in a relatively informal way confining it to one spread. To me this says 'this is me' and goes on to say 'this is my work' when the samples come in on the next spread which will give the studio/client a succinct and holistic overview of me a creative. 


No comments:

Post a Comment