Tuesday 1 March 2016

OUGD502 - Competition Briefs

OUGD502 - Competition Briefs

I have really enjoyed the responsive module as it allowed me to engage within the industry adding a live context to all of the brief that subsequently made me raise my game. The most substantial brief I have ever produced was my resolution for the YCN student awards which are influential within the industry so would highlight my creative abilities and look AMAZING on a CV. I liked the process of generating a concept and having the extended time to be able to develop this within the full resolution underpinning within the brands DNA and the packing identity to create a holistic rebrand that reflects the brands ethos and creates a iconic visual statement that will appeal to the brands target audience as well as allowing the brand to target new demographics. 

YCN

For one of the smaller briefs I chose to enter a local design competition, which was to design a new poster concept for the BUSINESS AGAINST CRIME IN LEEDS (BACIL) organisation. This had to appeal to a younger audience and be ventilate to work in both day time and nightime economies around the city. I was happy with my resolution focusing the concept around emojis to create strong visual statements that can be understood at a glance, transcends language boundaries in this diverse city and most importantly appeals to a younger target audience as emojis are a strong part of popular culture for this demographic. Although my entry didnt win I felt I had a strong contextual resolution that I was proud of. 
BACIL

The penguin design award is an annual competition that offers some great prizes for the winners including industry experience and considerable prize money. This was a good opportunity to enter a high profile competition that required not that much physical design work, reinterpreting a wrap around over for a prescribed title. I chose to cover How to be a woman by Caitlin Moran as the satirical tone of voice and playful language appealed to me. I visually interpreted the this in a similar playful tone using the papaya fruit as an striking metaphor of the female genitalia to grab the attention of the audience seeing it from afar only to identify its true form upon closer inspection. 

PENGUIN

I used secret 7 as a way to experiment and play with pure creative freedom. I limited myself to producing the whole concept and resolution in one day to prevent overthinking and overdeveloping the resolution. The outcome was bold fun and slightly controversial interpreting the song 'the less I know the better' taking inspiration from metaphors within the lyrics and the music video itself to create a strong resolution that fits the structure of the competition well. 

SECRET 7"

I have enjoyed creating work for a live context and while it would be a fantastic opportunity for expose to win I am proud of all the resolutions I have produced which internally satisfy's me as a creative, winning would only be an extension of this but feel I have some strong portfolio pieces to show clients and potential employers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment