Wednesday 16 March 2016

OUGD502: Module Evaluation

OUGD502

Module Evaluation

This module has allowed me to build on skills and experiences that I was introduced to in Level 4, With an ever evolving practice I have been able to develop my contextual understanding of industry and can start to identify areas of more specific interest that can be developed into a better understanding of where I might fit within this creative sphere. Extended research into design studios, projects and current affairs have allowed me to develop a contemporary practice and awareness as a creative. The PPP2 module has supported my ongoing development and ensured I remain contextually aware of the ever changing concept of visual communication providing successful networking opportunities and the platform to be able to consider ‘What next’.

Brief 1 provided the context to look in more detail at the industry, progressing from level 4 I evaluated and documented how I have changed as a creative over the year and explored in more detail the areas I am currently interested in as a designer, paying particular interest in branding and identity studios such as Wolff Olins, Music and Love. This brief also allowed me to engage with industry professionals in order to open a dialogue that could prove beneficial through my progression into level 6 and beyond. This engagement has proved successful presenting me with opportunities such as scheduled studio visits and potential internships with the Graphic Design team at Topman Head office as well as a range of new contacts that I will attempt to visit over the extended summer break.

Part two of this brief allowed me to engage with an industry figure I admire. Ben Biondo is a creative freelancer whose style I both identify with and admire, through the process of my creative report I took a broad range of inspiration from his attitudes towards design which will translate into my practice moving forward. I was able to produce a collaboration piece with Ben to articulate my creative report; this was a great experience to work with a design figure I admire. Ben was really engaged and supportive treating me as a professional whose input he valued as opposed to a student which greatly improved my confidence within engaging with industry standards.

Brief 2 allowed me to reflect on my progression as a creative over the academic year thus far transitioning from level 4 to 5. The first stage of this brief I engaged with was a revitalised identity as I feel I have outgrown the personal branding developed in Level 4. My new identity is far more representative of my current practice and feels a lot more professional in terms of articulating who I am as a creative.  Having reflected on where I have come from I also started looking foreword to the future, extending upon my identity I also created a portfolio preview to highlight the strongest examples of my work, this is collated in a small publication that can be easily handed out to studios I have a current interest in. The format of this publication is very informal making a statement of ‘this is me, this is my work, have a look and tell me if you like it’ as I felt this was the most appropriate way to promote my current practice, getting my name out there without putting any pressure on the studios.


The second part of the brief was to culminate all this research and development into a design strategy presentation. This was really engaging to look back over the presentation I created this time last year and highlighted to me just how far I’ve come in a matter of months. Allowing me to reflect on where I’ve been, where and I am at present and where I want to go in the future. This presentation presented the stark realisation that where I am now as a creative certainly isn’t where I’m going to be in 5,10,15 years, this has been a concept that has become more clear to me over the course of the module especially with my dialogue with Ben Biondo. Once I started to fully understand this concept it removed some of the permanency of design and it made the whole module a lot more straight forward. I was initially trying to design my identity around where I might be in a year’s time and was looking at studios that offered long term benefits. Whereas now I understand more about designing for now, I’ll inevitably have to re-brand, which is good, my ideas and prospects will change, which is good, the main thing I’ve learn from this module is to just engage with where I am at present and research avenues for the future and create connections that may help get be there, so wherever I end up I can be informed and engaged with my evolving practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment