Tuesday 15 March 2016

OUGD502: Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report: Prints

OUGD502 Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report

Prints

Working with a practising graphic designer gave me great insight as to what it might be when transitioning into industry, going beyond the brief in articulating my creative report as a collaboration left behind a student to professional relationship and allowed me and Ben to work together as equals both bringing different elements to the resolution. Communication became difficult at times due to time differences and working around each others workloads but managed to create a plan that would fulfil the collaboration within the timeframe before submission. 


I couldn't really design the layout or experiment with the typography until I had the illustrations from Ben as I would need to ensure they works cohesively together creating an engaging aesthetic and not looking too different in terms of styles. When I finally received Ben's illustrations I was relieved we had managed to work around the time differences and schedules to bring together both of our styles into a collection of prints. The illustrations are minimal in terms of style yet emotive and fun in their connotations, I felt these would work well paired with my own emerging style to create a range of contemporary prints that highlight the key aspects I took from talking to ben throughout the course of the module. 


I asked Ben for his rational behind the designs and was amazing with what he came back with, they were so insightful and contextual, it really is the way I want to be looking at design and ideas. It was great to see he really got onboard with my concept and took my lead in terms of the concept which gives me confidence within my practice that I can identify a strong design direction that can be developed into a strong and engaging practical body.

"So overall I wanted to wrap several design approaches into these designs. 
LITERAL, ICONIC & ABSTRACT. When I design something there is never a standard approach, or set in stone plan of attack. Some designs require more concept, while others are careless and fun. 

HAVE SOME FUCKING FUN (Literal) [far left]
Fun is a powerful word that means something different to every single person. That is why I love it so much. The idea of Never Not Have Fun came from me realizing the endless possibilities of fun. I like the idea of a 65 year old man and a 13 year old girl saying they had a "fun time" last night and you know their perception of fun is radically different. For those reasons I went with a very literal and straight forward design for "Have some fucking fun." I didn't want to try to define or sum up the definition of "fun" by making a pattern or a single icon... the word says it all. 

EYES YOUR EYES (Iconic) [centre]
I went straight forward for the design with this one, iconic if you will. It is important for creatives to keep theirs eyes and minds open, allow inspiration to come from unexpected places and people.There is not a hidden meaning behind this one so I wanted to keep the designer literal and straightforward. 

NEVER SETTLE (Abstract) [far right]
Change/evolution as a designer is inevitable and is something you can't plan. There is not a set path a creative, no straight line from A to B. I have no idea what I am going to be wanting to create a year from now. I am not sure what sort of changes I will have in my aesthetic, or the subject matter, color palettes or type styles I will be drawn to. I thought an abstract approach to this third point felt right because the life a creative is a fun one with many waves, twists and turns. Ride the way Rhys... ride the wave. "

No comments:

Post a Comment