Monday 1 May 2017

OUGD602: Personal Branding - Business Cards

Having researched business cards over the past two years I feel I have a good understanding of their format and concluded it doesn't really matter what goes on them as long as its relevant to my practice. Exploring new areas of inspiration I loved the juxtaposition of type and colour within this examples and wanted to recreate this aesthetic style with the simple phrase 'hello' within my branded colours. developing this further felt it didn't work as appropriate as within the example. Exploring alternative routes business cards often depict a range of works produced by the designer however as my practice centres around brand it wouldn't be appropriate to place examples of my own work within my business card as this would be promoting a client instead of myself. 




I really overthought the physical business card, due to its small scale its difficult to design for in creating an instant wow factor. I was getting really stressed out as what to put on my card and figured I should just keep it simple. Exploring the basis of my practice I identified that type, colour, shape, form the overarching consistency within my portfolio as and established I should present this within my business card. I cleverly took inspiration from my landing page and recreated this in the form of a business card, this creates continuity between print and digital forms and will allow the user to instantly associate the two platforms as part of my personal branding. 



Using a block colour as opposed to a gradient for the printed business card create a bold statement that is so simple it reinforces the brand in isolation. This places  refined focus upon the logo mark and can be developed over a series of colour ways. 

Keeping the aim of simplicity within the reverse of the business card the reverse side is juxtaposed with a solid which background. This features the most important information centred within the card: a link to my website and email address. I have also included my practice 'Graphic design // creative direction' splitter and cropped at the top and bottom as a stylistic feature that accentuated the white space within the design. 


Due to the simplicity of the design I wanted the production to stand out, Exploring commercial option for this I email Pressission regarding a run of 50-100 of business cards with a foiled logo however this was far too expensive for me to consider. Exploring alternative production methods found MOO produced raised spot varnish business cards that would add a tactile element to the business card and would make the user want to physically engage with the card that was far more reasonable, this was also applicable over a range of colour ways with no added charge making this the best option for me. I considered producing these within the college however the primary purpose of these cards will be to give to industry professionals within the End of Year Show and D&AD New Blood Festival therefore they need to be consistent and finished to a high standard. 







[sample printed in university]

No comments:

Post a Comment