Sunday 14 May 2017

OUGD602 Module Evaluation

The PPP3 module has allowed me to build on skills and experiences have been introduced over level 4 and 5, Within an ever evolving practice I have been able to develop my contextual understanding of industry and identified areas of specific interest that I have engaged with throughout the year.  The development of the module has supported ongoing personal development and ensured I remain contextually aware of the ever changing concept of visual communication engaging with networking opportunities, industry events, and plans for further study. 

Brief 1 documents my engagement with a commercial practice developing a sophisticated personal branding strategy that appropriately articulates my current practice. The identity is successful in encapsulating my current design practice which holistically references my aesthetic inspirations and my personable tone of voice. Creating a simple logomark that evokes a humanist sense of personality both within its physical composition and type treatments as well as within its brand strategy plays to the unusual spelling of my name to create a bespoke identity as a result. This has been praised throughout the year by students, tutors, and external creative directors demonstrating the success of the concept and its application within my practice.

Developing my online presence has been the biggest challenge within the module, creating a fully functioning website to host my online portfolio is the most effectively way for me to personally engage with studios and freelance opportunities. A PDF portfolio is also available upon request and will be developed into print based upon the feedback of upcoming portfolio surgeries. Printed collateral is developed to further establish my brand, developing business cards in preparation for industry networking events such as the End of Year Show and D&AD New Blood festival. The use of colour within the physical business card is consistent with my websites landing page to ensure a seamless transition between print and digital mediums. Printed collateral is further developed with a creative CV and invoice form, these similarly utilise coloured stock to create a point of difference amongst the sea of white applications is informed through a modular and efficient aesthetic. 

Brief 2 presented opportunity to thoroughly engage with a live creative practice. This ongoing process has inspired new areas of inspiration and allowed a more holistic understanding of the wider contexts of Graphic Design. Engaging with industry talks and seminars provides engaging insight to a range of differing creative practises and provides opportunity to practically engage with such, partially within the DBA brief. This was a great opportunity to network with a range of creative directors that were able to create an engaging resolution for through the structure of the brief  and receive a range of invaluable feedback on presenting styles through pitching our responses directly to them. Further networking opportunities included a range of studio visits and talks with practising designers such as the The Archipelago, Thompson Brand Partners, Harrison Park, and developing a creative report with Lotte Van Baalen to gain a more holistic insight to her practice and discover more about the field of curation. These experiences all resulted in receiving invaluable feedback on my current portfolio and allow me to develop a range of industry contacts that will be exceedingly beneficial when leaving university. 

My main focus within brief 2 has been to explore the potential for further study. Having personally explored where I want to sit within the industry I engaged with the prospect of Art Direction as I feel my practice is heavily revolved around developing sophisticated design concepts and feel this would allow me to explore a wide area of the industry. Attending a range of open days at varying institutions I applied for the MA in Graphic Design and Art Direction at Manchester School of Art, This comes highly recommended due to its prestige within the art and design community. Successfully receiving a place on the course this feel like the most natural progression of my practice and I can’t wait to enrol in September.

Overall the PPP3 module has been an invaluable process of exploring my own creative practice, developing a sophisticated brand identity and excepting this into various online platforms to promote myself as a dedicated and creative practitioner. Successfully engaging with a range of creative professionals has allowed me to build up an extensive range of industry contacts that will be essential when leaving education. Extending  my proposal into further study has inspired new areas of creativity to develop in order to reach my aspiring career goals.  


No comments:

Post a Comment