Sunday 30 April 2017

OUGD602: Live Brief - Harrison France identity

The proposal for Harrison Frances’ branding is simple yet contextually appropriate and succeeds in generating a strong identity for his practice. The abstract combination mark is boldly engaging and creates a point of difference that stands out within the photography industry. The simplicity of the identity allows a range of variations to develop that are essential to ensure each application of the brand is appropriate to its platform and reproducible over a variety of physical scales and brand extensions. Contextualising the identity within print and digital forms demonstrates the breadth of the identities ability to translate across a multitude of brand extensions and the establishes that the logo variations are essential in order to ensure each application of the brand is appropriate to its platform. This creates the basis for a strong identity that can be used over a long ranging lifespan due to its flexibility, innovation, and simplicity. 

Working with Harrison was my biggest client challenge to date, having already developed a sophisticated route he then wanted to change this concept completely. Due to the brief being unpaid and still having a range of briefs to complete for my extended practice module I chose to continue the proposal independently. I initially felt as though I had failed in not being able to provide the client with a resolution however established that the project needed to be mutually beneficial to work well in my portfolio and established creating a further concept would hold no personal benefit to my portfolio or academic submission. Receiving extremely positive tutor feedback regarding the concept we agreed I should continue this route independently as it works conceptually for my portfolio and from a design perspective is a strong resolution. This experience will definitely inform future client work as I will ensure the client is able to understand my voice as a designer and will engage with my creative style, conversely I will holistically seek out what the client wants to achieve within their brief and assess whether I can realistically provide this for them so to not waste anyones time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment