Sunday 30 April 2017

OUGD602: Studio Visit - The Archipelago

Keen to engage with practicing designers and studios throughout level 6 I began to contact studios to get feedback on my current studio portfolio, chat about their practice and begin to create external contacts outside of Leeds College of Art. The first studio I contacted was the Archipelago based in Tower Works, Leeds, I really liked their style especially the work they produce for the Plant Room which they also curate and wanted to learn more about how they work with such a small set up. 

Going through through my portfolio Michael was impressed with the work I had produced thus far commented on my work for 505, with the Hawarden Farm shop and my response to last years COP project when I created the physical bottle as my response to the brief. This gave me confidence in that I was producing work that had a good insight and my attention to detail within the physical production was appropriate to a live brief standard. Talking with Michael gave me a good idea of how to engage with to industry professionals, we talked about the college and wider creative topics within Leeds. Interestingly Michael gave me a good insight as to how it feels to work within a live practice, juxtaposing client demands with a good design practice and how working in a small studio can go through quite points then be insanely busy within a couple of days. Through this conversation and talking about the requirements of level 6 Michael offered me a placement in the studio, which was a great opportunity. Working with a small studio such as the Archipelago would allow me to get a better idea of how a full studio works and not just a department within a larger corporation.





No comments:

Post a Comment