Sunday 30 April 2017

OUGD602: Masters - Research

Thinking about what I wanted to do after graduating I explored a range of options however having spoken to Lord Whitney felt Art Direction was something I wanted to go into more seriously. Exploring how I could get into this friend found a masters route to be a good start for this process. A masters always something I have been aware of however only in my final year have I tarted to consider it as a serious proposal. I would want to do this as a linear progression from undergraduate as when I have establish myself with a studio I personally don't feel I would have the motivation to reengage with academic study and that I would succeed more when ready thinking with an academic mindset. 

Exploring institution that offer this MA course I initially thought about the Royal College of Art even though it is very exclusive and difficult to enrol on the rewards of studying at such a prolific institution would be great. investigating this further found the MA course in Graphic Design was 2 years and realistically this was unfeasible for me to live in London for 2 years while studying full time with the available funding for a masters. 


Looking beyond this I considered other institutions I that provided a relevant MA programme, From this I found Leeds University provided an MA in design, which would be nice to study in a city I am familiar with. Chester University also offered an MA in design which would allow me to live at home however I am unsure about the reputation of this course within the design community. Finally Manchester School of Art offer a course in Graphic Design and Art Direction which would be incredibly relevant if I wanted to pursue Art Direction as a career after study. Reading the syllabus of all these courses they all sounded interesting however the academic language used doesn't give a real insight to the course, I plan to book onto as many open days as possible in order to get a feel for the staff and institutions before making any decisions based on where I would like to study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment