Sunday 30 April 2017

OUGD602: Masters - University of Leeds Open Day

Attending the Leeds University open day I was unsure what to expect from the Russell group university regarding its creative courses. The event was held in a large room within the clothworkers building with representatives from each pathway available to talk through the programme. Talking through the course structure I quickly discovered this programme was not for me, it felt like an advanced foundation degree as in the first two months you experiment with every discipline from fashion to product design and then choose the most relevant pathway to explore further within the rest of the programme, Having already established I wanted to focus on Graphic Design I felt this doesn't appeal to my creative practice. Furthermore talking with the programme leader,  Dr Lonsdale she identified that they get a broad group of students applying for the MA design coming from subjects such as philosophy and politics to try something new, although she meant this as a positive aspect  of the programme this suggested to me the course was something that I wasn't looking for having peers that weren't familiar with the basic principles of design and wouldn't allow my practice to grow as holistically as some of the other programmes I have been looking at. 




No comments:

Post a Comment