Wednesday 17 February 2016

OUGD502: Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report: The Answers

OUGD502 Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report

The Answers

Hey Rhys -

I hope you have been well. 
Below are my responses to the questions you sent over.

-

I’m a big fan of your manifesto ‘never not have fun’ whats the most fun you’ve had in a while? 

I went to Parker Palm Springs the other weekend and that was a really cool experience. That place is a bit of an oasis.

Your work ethic seems quite relaxed and laid back how do you deal with stress, especially being a freelance designer? 

A desire to design comes naturally to me. It is something I have to be doing. I get restless if I am not being creatively productive in one way or another. Whenever I have a project, or a design that needs to be completed I just do it. I know that seems straight forward, but it is the truth. I have had to become a morning person, getting up at 5am, in order to fit more design into my day. There are stressful and exhausting times, but for the most part projects flow pretty organically. Design is a non-stop effort for sure. 

How would you describe your style?  and would you say you mediate this to the type of clients/projects you choose to work with? 

I would describe my style as "evolving". As consistent as my work feels, it is always changing in some way or another. Some days I want to make wavy, playful patters, others days I want to create super minimal, type centric pieces. My creative work is really a culmination of designs, lifestyles, ideas, moods, feelings, etc. that I am attracted to.

I have been fortunate to work with people who are interested in the way I make things and trust my vision on projects. I prefer to work with other creatives - photographers, architects, shop owners musicians, etc. because they see the value in good design. 

Would you say location has affected your practice? How do you think living in Los Angeles has impacted you as a designer in terms of inspiration and your response to a brief?

Absolutely. There are so many influences attached with any location. Be it a small town in northern Michigan, LA, or Berlin. I feel it is impossible, as a person and especially as a creative to not be effected in some way by your physical surroundings. 

Living in California has not directly effected the way I respond to a brief. It has more so effected the way I make things and the final outcome of a project visually. 

You seem very interested in creativity as a lifestyle which is something I feel I understand pretty well, are there any sayings/mantras you try and live by? 

Not in particular, it is more of a way at looking at creativity/design. I like to view my design as a practice. There is no peak, or final piece, or aesthetic or mood that I want to settle on. I will continually be making things allowing my design to evolve naturally and be influenced by what is around me. I am drawn to living a creative life, because it is ever changing. The way I shoot images, style my home, and design today will change over time, and I like that.

I was really impressed with Bens response to my questions. I was initially worried that me might rush them and not provide much detail but his response show that he has clearly thought about each question and carefully considered his responses. This provided me me with a great insight into him as a practitioner and his practice. From these responses I can now look at creative ways to visually articulate Bens practice that will be directly influenced by his responses. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment