Wednesday 17 February 2016

OUGD502: Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report: The Questions

OUGD502 Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report

The Questions 


With the go ahead from Ben I started to establish a range of questions. I ideally wanted to conduct the interview face to face to gain the most emotive responses however due to the vast location and time differences it was unfeasible to meet Ben personally. I considered a Skype interview however due to the time differences this would also be extremely difficult to arrange and would require a follow up transcription that may loose some of the quality, Emailing questions isn't ideal as I can't build things he brings up in his answers unless I do follow up questions however it will ensure the answers a of a high quality as Ben will have time to think about the questions in depth and revise them before sending to ensure he is happy with the responses instead of being put on the spot like an interview would which may result in slightly less focused responses. 

I started off very informally to ease him into the questions, this then developed into more academic questions asking about how he deals with stress as this is not evident through the laid back style of his work. Asking about his stye was interesting for me as he branches out so much within his practice it would be interesting to know how he views this personally looking at the industry and his place within it. Asking about location was an element that I am currently thinking alot about myself having spend the summer touring Australia and absorbing their culture. Ben lives and works from California with iconic scenery and famous lifestyle, his views on how location has affected his practice will shed some light on his work style and ethic. Finally he talks a lot online about living creatively I wanted to find out if he lives by any rules or sayings that have supported his lifestyle. 

I have created a strong set of questions that balances his lifestyle with his practice and how he defines this. I feel these questions will result in a set of strong answers that will enlighten me about Ben as a designer and his place within the industry. 

Final questions: 

I’m a big fan of your manifesto ‘never not have fun’ whats the most fun you’ve had in a while? 

Your work ethic seems quite relaxed and laid back how do you deal with stress, especially being a freelance designer? 

How would you describe your style?  and would you say you mediate this to the type of clients/projects you choose to work with? 

Would you say location has affected your practice? How do you think living in Los Angeles has impacted you as a designer in terms of inspiration and your response to a brief?



You seem very interested in creativity as a lifestyle which is something I feel I understand pretty well, are there any sayings/mantras you try and live by? 
so 

No comments:

Post a Comment