Wednesday 17 February 2016

OUGD502: Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report: Brief Interpretation

OUGD502 Studio Brief 1 - Creative Report

Brief Interpretation

Brief: 
Building on your continued familiarisation with the creative industries and prompted by the need for even more engagement with professional contacts, you are required to seek out an industry practitioner or practice who you will base a report on.
The completed report should utilise your skills as both a designer and a researcher and make use of material drawn from at least one personal interview with an appropriate spokesperson to then culminate in an insightful overview of a contemporary industry figure or organisation. Your interview can be carried out in person or via phone, Skype or email. Supporting sessions will offer guidance regarding the approaching and interviewing of subjects
You should aim to subsequently develop a report that is engaging in terms of both its style and content. The completed report can be submitted as a digital or a print output. However, it needs to communicate your subject's route into industry and identify where their creative practice is currently situated.
On completion, a project evaluation of 500 words should also be posted to your PPP blog.

Analysis of the Brief: 
I think this brief will aid my progression into the commercial practice of graphic design. It is focused around making me research different types of graphic design practices from large corporate studios to more bespoke design boutiques and even freelancers and consider their route into industry and if it something I can identify with. This brief gives great opportunity to make connections within the industry without asking too much of the interview subject merely a chat. Which could later even be developed into studio visits or job opportunities. 

I will approach this brief by firstly researching a range of design studios that I admire for example wolff olins and bibliotheque, I can objectively identify the limitations with these studios as they are multi-national industry leading studios it will be difficult to create an initial point of contact. Based on these limitations I will also research smaller studios and freelance designers as these may be easier to contact and have more time to help me throughout the brief as a back up. I will experiment with my methods of communications considering alternative ways to evoke a response from potential interview subjects that standard emails. 

I am looking forward to the process of this brief researching design studios that may give me inspiration for my current practice and may even inspire me to want to work with particular studios/individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment