Thursday 12 March 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: Live Brief - Leeds Central Library Book Cover Design

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: Live Brief - Leeds Central Library Book Cover Design 


This live brief was to Design and produce an A4 two colour screen printed book cover for my  assigned  visual culture theory book which would be be exhibited alongside Level 05 resolutions at  an exhibition housed at Leeds Library. I felt this brief was a great opportunity to develop my personal practise and a great way to put my work out into the real world due to the live context of the brief. I liked the fact we were limited to two colours for the purpose of the brief as it challenged me and my my design and ensure colour selection is crucial to the success of my resolution. I found this brief engaging and interesting as many of the sample book covers shown in the briefing were dull and poorly designed, so I felt this was a real opportunity to improve the aesthetic of the book through a well designed cover that truly related to it's concept.


Following the development of my concept from its initial idea to a sophisticated concept I feel I had created a successful resolution to the brief. I presented this resolution to a group of students and lecturers to gain summative feedback towards my final design. Prior to the critique I prepared a short presentation highlighting the inspiration behind the concept and the two colour variations I was previously undecided between. I presented my concept which received very positive feedback the lecturer said that I 'had a strong concept which took great initiative to look at the exhibition space and surroundings to create a really unique concept' I was extremely happy with this feedback as the main focus of my design was it's concept.

Overall the group  that evaluated my final design thought my concept was extremely strong and was an appropriate resolution to the brief. I am happy with the outcome of this concept and am looking forward to screen printing the design to achieve a high quality finish.I feel my design is successful in communicating the content in a unique and aesthetically pleasing was that is derived from an innovative and interesting concept. 


No comments:

Post a Comment