Friday 20 March 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: Gallery Visit - The Tetley

Gallery Visit - The Tetley

The Tetley is a contemporary art gallery located in the art deco building of the former brewery  this gallery gave a feeling of heritage with a modern twist with contrasted the feel of the ultra modern Hepworth. One of the main features I found aesthetically pleasing about the curation of the Tetley was the decals on the walls with large bright backgrounds and white text to instantly stand out and make the information more accessible as it was eye-catching and made me want to look closer and read it. The galleries were all labeled with square glass plaques which I felt gave a very professional finish however feel this would not be relevant for our exhibition. I liked the way they displayed their work as this simple row of artwork  leaves plenty of white space and didn't overcomplicate the space, I feel we could definitely work with a similar model when deciding how to hang the artwork for the curation of our exhibition.

The Tetley to me was more a 'typical' gallery/museum type layout with multiple exhibitions housed in an old building. I was not particularly fond of the some work on exhibition at the Tetley and was not that excited by the overall experience such as the structure of the gallery. I feel the Tetley works well in modernising a once derelict space however it doesn't appeal to my tastes directly, I prefer a more contemporary setting with conceptual works. The Tetley felt as though I was being shepherded around with the vinyls on the staircases and systematic layout, which did not appeal to me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment