Friday 20 March 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: Gallery Visit - White Cloth Gallery

Gallery Visit - White Cloth Gallery 

The White Cloth gallery expresses its vision to support the artistic community of Leeds by encouraging creativity. This small gallery aids undiscovered artists and arts projects. The space is a great fusion between a bar and gallery space which serves a contemporary purpose in the centre of Leeds. It has regular exhibitions that range from photography to art and film. The gallery promotes a social awareness and a progressive approach to visual culture. It creates a strong sense of community and I feel it works well in creating an contemporary casual setting to display art with the city centre. 

I often find museums unexciting due to their connotations however the White Cloth gallery I feel succeeds in creating a strong relaxed atmosphere that is engaging and contemporary, I feel it is Leeds' response to incorporating a sense of art and visual culture into a new modern way of life. The bar functions normally and is open daily to the public and creates an artistic addition to the city. The exhibition on when I visited was a photography exhibition, I loved how they had used the space, they had created an extremely simple layout which let the work shine through. The work itself I found extremely engaging, I loved the detail within the shots highlighting urban decay. I have an appreciation for photography and like to incorporate it into my work, I feel this the White Cloth gallery was the perfect setting for this contemporary urban exhibition. 





No comments:

Post a Comment