Friday 20 March 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: Gallery Visit - The Hepworth

Gallery Visit - The Hepworth

The Hepworth is a contemporary art gallery located in Wakefield with 6 exhibition rooms comprising of contemporary artwork and sculptures mostly by renowned sculpture dame Barbara Hepworth. The architecture of the Hepworth was very impressive and inside featured modern spaces to exhibit the work filled with high ceilings, clean white walls and full length windows. This gave the gallery a very contemporary, I liked the curation of this gallery as it often gave the work room to breath and didn't feel cluttered. I particularly liked the vinyl decals within the gallery.  I thought the use of a simple floor plan was particularly inventive especially when the works were sculptures and had no idea place for a name tag. 

I liked the Hepworth gallery as it was contemporary and gave me a chance to view a different style of work I would not typically come into contact with practising Graphic Design. I like some of the sculptures within the exhibition as I felt they were abstract and engaging however some were too contextual for my taste. Amongst the sculptures there was also a range other art on exhibition that I would not typically come into contact with, I particularly liked the Jackson Pollock on display as I have alway been appreciative of his work however had never seen one physically. 





No comments:

Post a Comment