Thursday 26 February 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Self Branding: Type choices

Type choices

My first university module taught me a lot about type and gave a new found appreciation for typesetting and typographic choices. I learnt that each typeface affects the design and leads to different connotation. I wanted to choose a range of appropriate typefaces that I could use throughout my personal branding. I will pick a body copy typeface and display typeface, by keeping these consistent throughout my personal branding I can create a sense of continuity between all of my designs so that they look like a sophisticated brand package. 

I considered a range of typographic choices for my business card I wanted something structured yet personality, I quickly regarded serif typefaces as I wanted to represent my practise as modern, simple and contemporary. This left me with a range of sans serif typefaces, I avoided the generic typefaces such as Helvetica and Futura as I felt they would look almost copycat on a plain white background as they have been used so frequently. I wanted a subtly different typeface that would appeal to other graphic designs as they would appreciate the detailed typographic choices. I narrowed down a short list of typefaces that I then experimented with typing my name and adjusting the kerning etc to see which suited the desired aesthetic I was trying to portray with my self branding project. 

Typographic Short List

Display Typeface: 

I Experimented with a range of typeface for my display typeface, I felt this was important as it would be used for headings and titles so I wanted it to be engaging. I wanted my display typeface to be bold without looking invasive, contemporary and adaptable across a range of media. I ultimately decided on a sans serif typeface as I felt this represented my style of design better than a serif typeface could. I felt the low x height of Brandon Grotesque would make the titles harder to read and thought Karla looked too structured for a display typeface and potentially quite un-engaging to an audience. 

I chose GT Pressura as my display typeface because I felt it embodied all of these characteristics. I feel the bold weight stands out yet the rounded corners of the condensed sans serif typeface gives it a softer edge that is more approachable which is how I aim to present myself. I was inspired to use this typeface as Local art project East st Arts uses GT Pressura within their branding, I think it looks really effective as a display typeface as for me personally it hits the right contrast between legibility combined with subtle features making the typeface quirky and unique. 

GT Pressura Bold Display Typeface

Body Copy: 

I decided I wanted to use Karla Regular as my body copy following a talk from the editor of our student magazine NEST. The main element I considered when choosing body copy was its legibility. I wanted it to complement the display typeface yet look constant with my contemporary branding when stood alone.

I chose Karla my body copy typeface. This grotesque sans serif typeface is symetrical and contemporary. I especially like the unique ear of the ‘g’ and tail of the ‘q’ I think these quirky features give it a sense of personality. Another major bonus is that it is a free google font so no premium license is required which is great for me being a student, and shows that uniquely crafted typefaces don't have to be extremely expensive from the top type foundries there are great quality alternatives available too. 

Karla Body Copy

I feel I have make informed decisions about my typographic choices and feel they work well together. My display typeface is bold and direct yet has a quirky characteristics that make it approachable and engaging. My body copy is highly legible the characters are very geometric which links into the inspiration behind my logo. The body copy works well balancing the thick weight of my display typeface and will appeal to my target audience of designers who will appreciate the attention to detail with my typographic choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment