Monday 9 February 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Self Branding: Initial Ideas

Initial Ideas


I started my initial ideas by trying to create a concept that I could then use as a basis for the rest of my design. I started by trying to come up with a range of memorable slogans that I felt embodied my practise.  I came up with "Rhys Jones, who else?" as I felt this portrayed me as an expert within my field. It also added confidence and a direct approach however I felt it was too early in within my practise to make such bold statements. I then came up with the concept of "Thinker. Doer." which I really liked it merged tow fundamental principles of design the thinking as I love conceptual design with a strong concept and Doer demonstrating I have the ability to create great quality design. 

I then started looking more closely into my name,  I realised it was a relatively unusual Welsh spelling so considered using this and adding subtle hints and wales into my identity such as using Red white and green within the colour scheme however I decided this would be too cliche and was not how I wanted to represent myself to the world. I then looked at incorporating my middle name into my designs branding myself as "Rhys Lloyd Jones" this middle name adds a sense of heritage as it is also my fathers and grandfathers middle names, I feel I could play on this to add a sense of heritage and sophistication to my design. 

I started sketching up a few very basic logo ideas however wanted to quickly move on to developing my designs digitally as due to the contemporary minimalism I wanted to portray I felt it was easier to develop digitally so that I could experiment with typeface and colour schemes (sorry John). I started by experimenting with the heritage element adding Lloyd into my name,  I contrasted this against a sans-serif 'Rhys Jones' but felt this did not work effectively. I then changed it all to Goudy Book and felt this worked better with a dark grey and pale blue that contrasted nicely. I used lines to separate each work similar to that of the branding in the Ampersand hotel to give the design a contemporary touch which I felt contrasted well against the relatively modern serif typeface (see below). 




I then sampled this as a business card design central aligning the design leaving a vast amount of white space. I think this design looks minimal and contemporary despite the serif typeface which I feel works well to highlight the undertone of heritage I was trying to apply within the design.


I then worked on a reverse design flipping the colour scheme so that the back would catch the users eye. I included dark grey text to keep the design consistent with the front and added the slogan thinker. doer. in white which I feel pops against the blue so that it stands out. I included ta QR code next to my contact information that will link the user straight to me website however I am not sure that this element works with the minimal design aesthetic I was trying to achieve. Overall I think this design works in creating simplicity that is consistent and would attract the users attention however feel it needs further development.


I then worked in an alternative design with my other slogan to see how it looked in context. I chose a deep teal as I felt it was slightly unusual and looked quite serious and professional. I kept with the minimal design and heritage aspect of the Lloyd with a serif typeface. I then juxtaposed this with a sans-serif slogan 'who else?' I think this stands out and looks professional however feel its too pretentious at this point within my creative development as I am still learning a lot about the industry. I feel this is the sort of personal branding an executive or director might use. 

I then became quite stuck with which other direction I could take my self branding in as I was very critical due to the personal nature of the topic, I decided to teak a break and wait for the interim critique and talk through my ideas with John so that he could give me his perspective and we could talk about new directions that I could look at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment