Sunday 22 February 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Self Branding: Logo Development

Self Branding: Logo Development



Having decided I wanted to focus my self branding concept around the flower of life/second year studio decal I started to sketch some initial ideas of what a potential logo could look like.  I sketched the overlapping circle design as I felt this worked well in portraying a bold simple shape that would be recognisable, easy to reproduce and is directly relatable to me. I started experimenting with different combinations of text and image with my name and logo too see if I found any I thought could work well together. I decided to take this forward digitally as I would be able to experiment with different typefaces and line weight to create a more developed design concept. 



I experimented with different weights and typographical combinations to see if I could create a contemporary memorable logo. I liked the inserts of colour as I felt it make the logo stand out and had more impact however I felt the circles of colour looked too digital and restrictive and gave me medical connotations such as BUPA. I experiment with different alignments of type however after consulting other students advice came to the conclusion that for the logo it would be most affective with just the overlapping circular symbol for the logo as this could later be paired with text on collateral such as the business card. They felt the simplicity of the design worked best with just the circular design as a stand alone logo which I agree with as I wanted a simple, bold and contemporary logo to represent my personal branding. 

Final Logo Design

Display Logo:

I felt confident wit my logo design as I felt it was representative of me; my interests and ambitions. I liked the simple contemporary aesthetic of the final design, its strong weight gave it bold assertiveness that would not get lost on the page. My only concepts was that is might not be that eye-catching on the front of a business card. I wanted to create a more elaborative display logo that would be featured on my more visual collateral such as business card, website and social media presence. I liked the idea of incorporating colour within my logo like I experimented with in my development (seen above) but wanted to eliminate the restrictive digital feel. When talking through my ideas with other students someones suggested that I use a physical art material such as watercolour or marker pen to create colour as they felt my work way not always digital and had noticed I have used a range of materials in response to briefs thought the year. I felt this was a good idea as it would highlight my diversity to potential clients showing that I have a range skills and this would also add an extra element to my designs making it more engaging to an audience.
  

I trailed a range of materials however found that I preferred brush ink as it was very expressive, and totally eliminated a digital feel. I thought this technique was quite unusual and innovative and represented me well due to my ability to use a range of materials within my work. I trailed a range of colours however felt blue and purple came out the best with the most aesthetic feel. I liked the creation of unusual patterns as this would intrigue an audience making the want to look more closely. I decided to use the blue and purple within my design as relating back to the psychology of business card chart found in my research analogues work together well.




I then developed this design digitally removing the background and adjusting the hue/saturation and contrast to ensure the best aesthetic. Once I was happy with the colours I experimented with the logo overlaying in onto the colours and reducing the opacity of the colours within the overlap of the circles. I also experimented with negative space however felt this was not as affective and wouldn't look as good if reproduced at a smaller scale. 

Final display logo

I feel my final display logo works well in attracting the audience attention and engaging potential clients. The image is bold and unique due to the brusho ink which removes the overly digital feel the previous developments had. I think the display logo is really effective and will stand out to potential clients, similarly to the logo I do not feel it is restrictive as it highlights my diversity and ability to experiment with a range disciplines. On a more subtle and contextual level I think the ink exploding out of the overlapping circles could be my uniquely creative way of demonstrating I think outside of the box, I feel this could produce a walking point when ending my card to clients as it works on a range of levels so could stimulate conversation.  The overall aesthetic of the display logo is bold contemporary and striking I feel it along with the standard logo that would be used in letterheads and other simpler collateral that I have created an engaging logo that represents my intercepts and aspirations in a uniques creative aesthetic that will appeal to a broad client base. 

No comments:

Post a Comment