Friday 23 January 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Self Branding: Research - Studio Inspiration

Research -  Studio Inspiration

I felt I could acquire a range of inspiration from notable design studios that I like as a designer. I decided to research a range of branding, from the branding of different designs studios to some of their branding projects. This will allow me to analyse not only how they want themselves to be perceived but the style of design they have created for their clients. I feel this will allow me to understand more about commercial branding and to extrapolate key design features that I feel I could utilise within my own personal branding. 

Sagmeister and Walsh

I really like the overarching aesthetic of Sagmeister & Walsh's personal branding. I like how their logo is simply an ampersand as this represents the partnership between Stefan Sagmeister and Jessica Walsh. I love how they have taken such a simple concept of the singular glyph and have made it unique to their studio and over time they have become recognisable for it. The studio uses a monotone colour scheme which I find contemporary and allows them to remain fairly flexible due to their vast portfolio of work



Artvvork by Face

Owned and designed by super minimalist design studio Face, Artvvork is their platform to express all the things that inspire them as creatives. I love the branding for Artvvork as it a clear extension of the minimalist ethos Face follows within its own branding. The simple and innovative logo really works for me, I really appreciate well thought out design. Its works in 80% black and white and uses a contemporary deign that is simple, minimal, elegant and open to allow its content to really shine though. I like how they have considered its purpose and effectively implemented a tasteful branding identity to compliment its content.  


Archtober by Pentagram

Archtober is a month long festival of Architecture and Design in New York City.  I feel Pentagram have succeeded in creating a representative brand for the event that is simple and contemporary.  It's simplicity lends itself well to the event which has a broad spectrum of architecture and design. The logo is well designed with a strong weighted typeface which stands out and a contemporary burst of orange within the box to make the identity eye-catching and exciting. I feel the logo is works well with the arcutectual nature of the event however feel it could be slightly oversimplified for my personal taste,  I still think it works though due to is contemporary edge. This logo design will work well across a range of collateral due to its simplicity and assertiveness that will be sure to make the event memorable. 


Looking back on this research, all the examples I have documented have been very simple, bold and of modernist desing principles. I think can to some extent represent my work thus far on the course as I like to use which space and a limited colour palette. I think I will take this as a sign to use a simple and contemporary aesthetic within my self branding, as it clearly represents the type of design I am interested in. I will however attempt to make my branding unique by adding additional features that add a sense of personality into the design as I feel modernist design can often look un impersonal and un-engaging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment