Thursday 15 January 2015

Studio Brief 2 - Self Branding: Research - Business Card Analysis

Research - Business Card Analysis

I felt that brands are typically reflected quite well through their business cards as they normally feature their logo, type choices, colour schemes and suggests the brands overall aesthetic. I felt this would be a good place to start my research by analysing a range of business cards to see if I can find any generic conventions that I feel make the designs work. I can then extrapolate these key features and look at implementing them into my own designs to ensure a successful outcome.


I love the sophisticated aesthetic of this design, the two-tone black creates an instant urge to look closer to fully appreciate the design. Although it is difficult to see from this picture the text and logo is overplayed with spot varnish to add another key visual element to the design, the shine from the spot varnish will catch the eye of the audience and adds a contemporary undertone to the business card. The overall design is very contemporary with plenty of white space, bold sans-serif typography and a minimalist aesthetic that I feel works together creating a sophisticated and aesthetically pleasing business card. 


I personally do not like the design of this business card although it is highly conceptual with the development of its logo and engages the user in an extremely interactive and personal way the overall design is too gimmicky for my taste. I think the design is too fiddly and the insert would likely get lost which renders the design obsolete as this hold all the relevant information. I like the concept and think people would remember this business card due to its interactivity however am not sure that it would be viable due to cost implication. I like the embossed typography however I generally prefer sans-serif typefaces but I feel this serif works well with the overall design. 


I like how this business card works as a series with a strong unified design that is then made unique with a range of colour combination. I like the design of the business card as it is contemporary and very minimal, the uppercase type as a bold assertiveness which works in contrasting the pastel colour scheme. The colour scheme is subtle and uses a rare of complimentary and contrasting colour schemes to create diversity within the design, I like this concept of having more that one colour scheme as it could make the design collectable and show that that business is diverse however feel these colours are quite feminine. Overall I feel this is a strong concept but could be tweaked to avoid a gender bias. 


I think this business card works well in adding a personal touch, the use of physical a physical medium such as the watercolour creates a nice aesthetic that blends well with the digital elements of the design. I like the sharp tonal blues as they create vibrance that will attract the eye this is them complimented by the foiled copper logo and typography that contrast this hard rendered element well creating a well balanced design. I like this design however feel that the watercolour makes the smaller typography slightly illegible however the smaller design with the corner watercolour effect works extremely well. Overall I think this design succeeds in being unique as the majority of business cards are 100% digital which can sometimes lack personality and look uninspiring. 


When researching business card design I came across this nice graphic highlighting the psychology behind a good business card. This informed me of how to successfully use colour, type and alignment to create a well balanced and successful business card. I will be sure to reference this when designing my own business card as I feel this could help me to achieve a successful design and contextualises my design decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment