Wednesday 28 January 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: Leeds Print Festival

Leeds Print Festival 

Leeds Print Festival is an annual collection that each year features an exciting programme of workshops, print exhibitions, talks and a print fair. This year (its fourth year) is its biggest programme to date. The print fair is organised by my course leader Amber Smith and brings together a huge range of creatives including high profile printmakers, designers and internationally renowned lecturers. I felt this would be a great opportunity for me to learn about whats happening in the world of contemporary print and be surrounded by a range of industry experts. 

The print festival runs from the 23rd - 31st January with a the full range of activities spread throughout this time frame. I able to attend the opening night of the print festival in the gallery of Munro House which is a great venue right next to independent boo store colours may vary. There was a really good atmosphere within the opening night as it brought together a range of creative thinkers that all had an appreciation for printed design. I was surprisingly impressed my the detail and quality of the works on display as I had the preconceived expectation that print had to be simplistic and minimal and sometimes boring however this was not the case. I found the works to be engaging, eye-catching and of an extremely high quality which was extremely positive to see. 

I really enjoyed the opening night of the print festival I found the examples of work to be contemporary and innovative that demonstrated a cohesive blend between traditional and contemporary print processes. I think this exhibition has re-introduced me to print as a contemporary medium and I will consider this as the form of my resolutions to a brief in the future without instantly assuming digital print is the best process. Overall I agree with the sumitive statement from 'People of Print' magazine which said the the Leeds Print Festival  "is truly a celebration of all things printed and is great for fans of printmaking of all types."




No comments:

Post a Comment