Thursday 20 November 2014

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: Creative Skill Set

Creative Skill Set

I was chosen to be part of a small selection of students to talk to a panel from the Creative Skill Set assessment board. I think this will be a good opportunity to interact with other years of the programme and talk to industry professionals that will make up part of the assessing panel.  Felt it was important to do some research into the Creative Skill Set to understand more about the process and what they do. 

I found that the Creative Skill Set works with the industry to accredit practise based degree courses that effectively provide students with the skills and knowledge required by employers in the creative industries. Courses that achieve the accreditation are awarded the Creative Skill Set tick which is an invaluable signpost for potential students and employers to indicate that these programmes provide the most up to date relevant industry training. The tick raises the profile of the accredited course/institution in the increasingly competitive Higher education table and employment market. This means that it not only benefits the university but also myself as this accreditation would show future employers that I have the relevant skills needed to seamlessly transition from university to employment.

The meeting itself was fairly relaxed. We were introduced to the industry professionals and a woman fro the accreditation board they explained they would be asking questions about our experiences on the course so far to get an idea of the type of work we do. There were students from all levels of the course to which the board asked a range of different questions. They asked me as a first ear why I picked this course over all the others to which explained the small cohort, lots of tutor time and high end industry standard facilities. They then questioned some of the second and third years which was really interesting to hear about as it gave me a clearer idea of the sorts of briefs and exposure I would receive as I progressed through the course. I was excited to hear about the range of competent briefs that I will take part in during the second year and how the third years have developed since they were in my shoes. I found this meeting invaluable to just year about the upper levels experiences on the course so far as it gave me a greater insight of whats to come. 





_________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE

I have been informed that the Graphic Design course at Leeds College of Art has received the Creative Skill Set accreditation. I think this is a great sign that the course has all the necessary skills and requirements to prepare me for a carer within the industry, It will also increase the profile of the college and will hopefully make me seem more appealing to employers as this shows I will have the necessary skills to work effectively within their organisation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment