Monday 29 December 2014

Studio Brief 1 - Reflective Practise: OUGD403 Module Evaluation/Feedback

OUGD403 Module Evaluation/Feedback 

Looking at this module in retrospect I have enjoyed the briefs and fee l have learnt a lot. I feel the module has been a great way to ease me into university life. I have quickly established the work rate is high and the quality of work is important and strived in order to complete all briefs to the best of my ability. I feel I have acquired a range of new skills for example I now feel confident working on illustrator whereas before I had no prior knowledge of the software. I have also expanded my knowledge of graphic design as a whole with workshops on the fundamentals of typography and introduced me to specifically relevant designers. 

The first brief taught me the basic principles of type and allowed me to creatively experiment with letterforms in practical relation to an assigned word and typeface, this tested my design skills to understand the brief and creatively modify letterforms in order to create a successful outcome.

Brief 2 was an extension of brief one and allowed me to extend my final concept to a full typeface. This required a very technical approach that involved a transition from hand rendered concepts to digital versions. Through a rang of supervised illustrator workshops I now feel I have a solid understanding of illustrator and feel confident in applying these skills to other briefs and projects. 

Brief 3 allowed me to demonstrate my research skills through extensively researching a particular story from current affairs. I implemented both primary and secondary data from a range of sources including newspapers, social media and online articles that allowed me to collate a vast range of data. I was also challenged with the presentation of this research that led to me understanding how to effectively display this style of information. 

Finally brief 4 allowed me to elaborate on the research complied in brief 3. I feel this was the most creative brief in the module and allowed me to use my own personal expression to convey a message determined from my specific research focus from brief 3. I learnt about how to affectively communicate a desired message through a range of mediums for example text, image and a combination of the two as well as learning how my outcomes can be strong individual concepts yet work well together as a set. 

Overall I am happy with my progress through the module and my adjustment to university life. I feel I have already learnt a host of new skills and expanded on my knowledge of graphic design. I love having my own space to work within in our studio as it creates a great atmosphere that oozes creativity, being able to ask like minded creative people for their opinions on my work is invaluable and these surrounds make me strive to produce the best work possible. I am looking forward to continuing through the course and progressing onto the second and third years. Through this module I feel I have made a good start to becoming the type of designer I ultimately want to be.

This is my first summative formal feedback for the first module I have submitted on the course thus far. I was slightly apprehensive as to whether I would do as well as I had hoped as this is the first degree level assessment I have submitted. I was happy with the feedback I received from the assessment and agree with the grade that I was given. I was awarded 65% for my first module which is consistent with a 2:1 level degree. I was happy that I was seen to already working at a significantly high level as it is my first ever degree level module. I agreed with the comments I received and was happy to see that my hard work was recognised for example my extensive developments. I agree that I should be more critical when analysing research and designs as for the most part I was fairly positive towards the majority of designs. From this I will aim to analyse things more critically when moving forward to future modules. 




No comments:

Post a Comment